View Sonja Geracsek's profile on LinkedIn         View Sonja Geracsek's profile on Twitter         View Sonja Geracsek's profile on Vimeo         Watch Sonja Geracsek's Youtube Channel         Email

Thursday 8 March 2012

Crit Feedback

The feedback I have received for my crit presentation was to rephrase my aim slightly and replace the term "design constraints" with "design conventions". This implies that certain aesthetics are the norm but are not necessarily applied at all times. That supports my argument that within the same design convention like a certain type of genre the colour themes might be repeated across entertainment media but can still change depending on cultural differences, distribution platforms or other criteria.

Another piece of advice was not to over complicate my research. I could be researching this subject forever. It is now time to settle down and focus on my final piece. One idea mentioned was to create showreel that would be my final piece, showing my development progress and understanding of all the different visual styles and production values of title sequences, instead of having three title sequences on their own. This raises the question if that would clash with my aim, which investigates the contrast between distribution formats. The showreel might display a variety and research into several approaches but wouldn't show that contrast within defined criteria.

For that reason I have decided to pick a design convention. I will first create one title sequence for one of the formats and then adapt that title sequence to the criteria that I have identified for the other two formats. This will show how one design concept can change depending on the cultural and platform distribution based differences.
I would like to use the mystery genre and US broadcast as my gravitation point for this approach. I am frustrated with the amount of logo reveals that exist in US broadcast media for this genre. I am convinced that it doesn't always serve its purpose and the title sequence could be treated differently. From this onwards I will create adaptations for UK broadcast and online media appropriate to the production values of those two formats.

I am uncertain if picking a genre at random is the right approach but I don't see how else I can make the next step towards starting my final piece.

Next steps:
  • mystery genre
  • re-interpret a logo reveal of US broadcast media
  • adapt design concept to criteria of UK broadcast media production values
  • adapt design concept to criteria of online media production values
    • potentially start LinkedIn discussion

    No comments: